Sunday, February 27, 2011

Discovering My Church Home

I will never forget the day I visited Gateway church for the first time. I was in July of  2007 and I was totally excited. I came that day broken and depressed. I needed help mending my family.I had recently got out of a battered women's shelter in Dallas. My children and I had relocated from New York due to extreme abuse from my ex-husband. The State of New York relocated us. My first stop was in Memphis to start a new life. That was short lived when my ex came and started the same pattern of abuse and drugs.  We were transported to Dallas by choice. I felt so alone  and lost. I knew that I had to get me and my children in a strong Church. We had been very active in church back in Syracuse. Actually,  I discovered Pastor Robert on life today when he would guest host Life Today. We were still in Syracuse at the time. When I was in the shelter I went online to look up the church website.  Two things stood out there was a single parents ministry and freedom ministry. I knew that I needed help and support with my children. I knew that I was broken.I had so many holes in my soul that I did not think I could go on. I was really the walking dead. I know if it had not been for the Lord I would have lost my mind. Since the  shelter was in Dallas and I did not have a car I couldn't go to visit Gateway. Finally the day came when we found a place in Plano and I could sleep in my own bed. I still didn't have a car but Gateway was always on my mind. Finally God blessed us with a car. The children and I drove from Plano faithfully. That Sunday in July I Knew something had to change. I could not go back home the same. After the sermon was over I knew I needed to go to the Altar. I walked  up to the Altar and  remember standing right in front of Pastor Debbie.  I will never forget that as I bowed my head Satan whispered to me "look how the pastors wife is looking at you, she thinks you are nothing" well that took me aback. It seemed like time just stood still. I heard another voice that said "this is your church home." That Sunday the Devil played on the broken state I was in. If It had not been for God speaking to me I may have walked away from the house of healing for me and my children. Pastor Debbie is a wonderful woman of God.  We must be careful  when we hear things out of our brokenness. The enemy wanted to destroy and eventually kill me. He had already stole my peace, stability, happiness, health. Well I praise God that he had to release it all and give it back.! I am healing, growing and prospering in this House of God.

shuana

No comments:

Post a Comment